A smarmy, smug and occasionally pretentious view of the world that might or might not be limited to two or possibly three paragraphs

Monday, March 24, 2008

I hate Chinese people.

For once, there are so many things I want to blog about but I think I'll just cover one topic for today, so here goes. I think many of us (myself included) poke too much fun at the emo sub-culture prevalent in the rock scene today. It weaves it's spidery web around indie rock, mainstream rock and probably whatever rock genre you can think of. Symptoms include: black eyeliner, size 2 jeans, ugly haircuts, and bad poetry. Ha Ha. Yeah. Making fun of that seems to have lost it's lustre over the last couple of months or so. So, yesterday, I was deep in thought about what would amuse me next when it SUDDENLY occurred to me: CHINESE EMO!

Yes, friends, Chinese-emo . "Josh, what is Chinese-emo?", you may ask. Chinese-emo, or as we in the know refer to as Ch-emo (not in good taste), is a sub-genre of (mainly) Chinese pop music that leaves the listener with a grief as deep as the ocean. Artist of said sub-genre include Wang Lee-Hom, Wilber Pan, Jay Chou (pioneer of the sub-sub-culture of fusion Ch-emo-hop) and various artists with made-up names (that you've never, never in your life heard of before) such as 'Eason Chan', 'Deep Ng' (I'm not making this up), 'Hins Cheung'*(I'm convinced this is a Chinese syllabic spelling of Vince Chong) and 'Yee Mou Hor'**.

Seriously though, is there anything more disgusting in this world than a 20 year-old Chinese boy/man (depending on how you look at it) with man-tears streaming down his face from his profound anguish of love lost whilst sitting in front of his computer, listening to a canto-pop love ballad in a pink, low-cut vee-sweater*** with a pair of white/black (whichever you prefer) emo-glasses and over-hung hair. It really is disgusting.

People who do that sort of crap should really grow a pair and man up. I don't think I have ever been more disturbed in my whole life when I watch people like that operate. Sure, I believe in being in touch with your emotions as a guy (albeit sparingly), but this is going way overboard. Howling your unrequited love to the moon isn't really going change things with your non-existent girlfriend.

So please, dear reader, if you happen to be a Ch-emo: Stop wearing girly colours and trying to strike a sensitive poet pose. Cut all that androgynous crap. If you want to be a girl, by all means be the best girl that you can be. Nobody likes a half-hearted attempt at anything.

Well, it has been a long day and I think I need to start packing up to go home. I'll have more stuff to post on soon. Bye.

Currently listening to: Wilber Pan - Bu De Bu Ai (Have To Love)****


* Yes, there is an actual Hins Cheung (not a joke). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canto-pop (Look under male artists)

** No, there is no actual Yee Mou Hor. If you don't get the joke, say the name out loud a couple of times and you'll probably get it. If you still don't, ask your parents or something, but don't say you got it from me.

*** Pink low-cut vee sweaters, pink t-shirts with supposedly 'urban design print', pink turtlenecks and pink shirts have all been paraded in front of me these two weeks courtesy of the male students from UTAR. Big ups to them for being superb examples of Chinese masculinity.

**** YES IT'S A JOKE.

P.S. As always, any and all comments are welcome. Also, I think I've used more parentheses and dashes in this post than I have in my whole life.

P.P.S. Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between 'artist' and 'artiste'? I was corrected very authoritatively on the difference the other day by someone who is apparently very intimate with his Webster (Dictionary) (Loser). Allegedly, an artist is someone who paints or sculpts while an artiste is someone who performs.

Allegedly.


19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quote "Wang Lee-Hom, Wilber Pan, Jay Chou (pioneer of the sub-sub-culture of fusion Ch-emo-hop) and various artists with made-up names (that you've never, never in your life heard of before) such as 'Eason Chan', 'Deep Ng' (I'm not making this up), 'Hins Cheung'*(I'm convinced this is a Chinese syllabic spelling of Vince Chong) and 'Yee Mou Hor'**."

You must have listen to a lot of canto-pop to be able to bring all their names up..

March 26, 2008 at 11:26 AM

 
Blogger Josh said...

If you check further down the post, I used Wikipedia. ;) Besides, at least two of those are household names in Malaysia.

March 26, 2008 at 11:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha k..not a big fan of canto pop myself..and guys that dress like girls "Ch-emo" should be shot at sight..well good post couldnt have put it in better words myself..

March 26, 2008 at 2:46 PM

 
Blogger Josh said...

Hahaha, thanks :P

March 26, 2008 at 11:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, artiste is mainly used for performers; eg: music performers/bands can also be referred to as artiste[s]. or a famous ventriloquist.
an artist is basically someone who hs an active interest in art. usually we think in terms of painter, sculptor, composerr, etc.

April 28, 2008 at 12:21 AM

 
Blogger siah said...

i is likes wang li hom. u is so bads.

May 2, 2008 at 2:55 PM

 
Blogger Josh said...

Oh, Kim Siah! You're so darings to say all that!

June 10, 2008 at 2:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAH

wait... AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAH

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHhA
HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHHAHAHA

+1000

-Trick

June 1, 2009 at 3:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are an ass.
seriously.

i mean like, what the fuck?
are you even chinese?

if you aren't,
you are one fucking fucked up racist bastard.

if you are,
just fucking go bang a fucking wall and fucking die.

whats your fucking problem with chinese people again? (or as how you labelled them, "Chinese emo")

they dont fucking harm you or affect your bloody fucked up life in anyway or whatsoever.

are you like just, fucking jealous or some shit?

if you ask me, you're the fucked up one, and dude seriously,
GO GET FUCKING HELP.

you DISGUST me.
you really do.

-some random dude

p.s
i AM chinese. And no, i ain't no fucking chinese emo, or whatever you call or label them as.

p.p.s
see you in hell, well as soon as our time comes. :)

June 16, 2009 at 10:35 PM

 
Blogger nickchhan said...

Serious @anonymous you're a person that needs to grow up, and see it from another's perspective. I dislike (not hate) people like you that cannot laugh at themselves, or the follies of their own race. I'm Chinese, I very well know our strengths and weaknesses in the global arena. Start laughing at yourself, your country, your race, and you may find yourself improving, and being a better person faster.

Ever think that because you're so pro-Chinese (up to a point you can't laugh at yourself) actually mean you're racist? Get a clue. You're so pro is because you're racist.

Wei Qi is prejudiced, but we know it's not hate. She's using hate as an expression - don't take it literally you fucking chink.

Yeah, I'm Chinese.

June 18, 2009 at 12:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick, or whatever, please get your facts right.

first of all,
who the hell is wei qi?

secondly,
you think this is funny? the whole post?
then why dont i find it amusing, not at all?
its more like the author is INSULTING them, rather than trying to make a joke out of this.

finally,
am i being a pro-chinese?
it's more like you're the one being ANTI-chinese if you ask me. and there you are claiming you're chinese, now THAT's amusing. sometimes i seriously wonder why are you all like that, is it because you cant speak decent mandarin? wannabes.

i mentioned this before, and im gonna mention it again.
you guys DISGUST me, yes you do, and you all are an embarrassment to us CHINESE people.

June 18, 2009 at 9:05 PM

 
Blogger nickchhan said...

If you think that you're own race cannot be criticized, you're a racist. If you think that every race cannot be criticized, you're a stereotype.

I wonder if you realize my reply to a troll like yourself was to perhaps give you a clue. Have you ever heard of satire, and what it does? Here let me quote it for you;

'A literary technique of writing or art which principally ridicules its subject often as an intended means of provoking or preventing change.'

My post aimed to provoke you into understanding. Please by all means continue to reply me with baseless hate.

Don't presume you even know me.

June 19, 2009 at 12:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

criticizing, if its a constructive one then theres nothing wrong.
re-read the post and tell me how is it a constructing critism?

in this case its more like Insulting. AND theres a HUGE difference between criticizing and Insulting.

satire? did you have to quote it from wiki? you are just avoiding my questions with this bullcrap.

and i dont have to know you, to know that you're one fucked up piece of shit.

June 22, 2009 at 1:46 AM

 
Blogger nickchhan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 22, 2009 at 5:54 PM

 
Blogger nickchhan said...

I don't need to avoid your question, what question did I miss?

Did I mention this was constructive criticism? Did I say this post wasn't an insult?

Perhaps read the post that in many places talks of Chinese Emos.

My balls get excited to know an emo like you gets so upset over this. LAWL!

June 22, 2009 at 5:57 PM

 
Blogger Josh said...

Wow, uh. I'm a hate celebrity! Pioneering new ways of bringing people further, yet closer, through hate. =D

@ Anonymous - It was meant as satire because I'm Chinese as well. It was a tongue-in-cheek look at people who take themselves all too seriously. I'll laugh at everybody regardless of race, gender or age (Probably born out of my perceived superiority complex). I guess you could say I'm one of the few people who really cared about equality. =)

* Nick - Thanks for your support. I guess somebody does GET my writing. It's always nice to laugh at your own selves and one another.

June 23, 2009 at 2:27 AM

 
Blogger QiQi said...

ey anonymous ,
get a life . instead of ranting on about how disappointed you are with us "deviants" cuz i honestly don't care fucks =)

cuz you suck . and i know that . i am chinese yes, but all races have their negatives, no? =)

June 25, 2009 at 6:51 PM

 
Anonymous KissMeThruThePhone <333 said...

FUCK CHINESE FUCK FUCKING YELLOW PEOPLE EW DISGUSTING YUCK EW.

Ya I'm chinese.

June 25, 2009 at 6:52 PM

 
Anonymous Bapok said...

Org Cina babi bangang gi mati je la, buat bising. Kaum kau ni x guna langsung balik kampung kau la blah negara ini.

June 25, 2009 at 6:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home